Thursday, June 7, 2012

I call it a success...

By all appearances this day was not successful.

There are dishes and laundry to be done. There are school books strewn about the living room floor. Crumbs needing to be wiped off the counter. The garbage is full. And those finger and paw prints I've been meaning to clean off the sliding glass door still remain.

But, I was busy...
... nursing, comforting and caring for a most adorable baby boy, who has been a bit more tired and fussy than usual today.

... holding a sweet five year old girl for as long as she wanted while she cried because she misses our old dog.

... reading a devotion with three beautiful, impressionable souls seated before me. Teaching them about our God... the greatness of who He is, what He has done for us, and how every day there is something to be thankful for, even when it doesn't look like it. Most certainly when it doesn't feel like it.

... teaching a child to read. Smiling and laughing with her because she is so proud to read even the simplest words.

... then guiding another through math, history, and spelling.

... laying on the floor with kids reading book after book.

... feeding hungry tummies.

... stacking clean diapers and wipes on the shelf.

... scolding the dog that got caught eating one of the chickens' eggs.

... praying... He hears every word, knows every heartache. Deep unto deep... Oh, the peace, that comes from knowing nothing can separate me from Him. Anywhere I go, anything that comes my way... He is ever faithful and will never change. Life here is so fragile, but He will forever remain the same.

... reading the living Word... and feasting upon precious truth. Oh, the wonder of the hope of eternity. To think... never again separation from God. To know as we've been known. To look into the eyes of my Savior. I almost have to gasp at the thought... To never again miss loved ones and friends. Just joy. Pure joy. Perfection. What does perfection feel like? Lord knows this life often times feels as far as possible from it.

Now it's time to feed hungry tummies again, bathe this sweet baby, tuck them all into bed, and attempt to straighten the house up a bit before I fall into bed.

I love this simple life... Yes, it can be so mundane, but if my eyes and heart are fixed on Christ, every day can become rich. Because it matters for eternity. All of it. The day to day. The sameness. The hugs, the tears, the laughs, all the work... it matters and it's all a gift from His hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment